Tax Policy Fellow
Your Responsibilities Include
- Lead formulation of the team’s plans and activities in the federal and state taxpolicy space, including comprehensive changes to the individual and corporate tax codes.
- Work to advance the principles of a free and open society by developing and writingresearch and policy reports that will directly contribute to AFP’s understanding of these critical issues.
- Assist with the development of letters of support for legislation at the federal and state level, as well as internal briefing documents for staff and management on an as-needed basis.
- Work in concert with government affairs to draft and deliver state testimony and meet with state and federal lawmakers and staff as a subject matter expert in the tax space.
- Aid in the translation of complex issues into talking points, written text, reports, blog posts, and earned media hits for communications and grassroots teams.
- Advise on broader fiscal reform issues as they arise.
- Represent AFP through public speaking engagements at public forums, conferences, and similar opportunities.
- Advise and collaborate across our philanthropic community to develop strategies which advance our goals.
- Represent AFP in public forums including seminars, scholarly panels, debates, and by publishing research and opinion pieces in print and broadcast media.
- Review and help cultivate external partnership opportunities and make recommendations to key decision makers.
- Mentor policy analysts on the team and help direct their research and writing efforts.
Knowledge and Skills You Bring to the Organization
- 10+ years of experience with expertise and an established area of federal or state taxreform or related areasor equivalent work experience in economics, political science, or related field.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, environment.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Strategic thinker who understands the key thought leaders and organizations in their field of expertise.
- High level of initiative and ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Solid understanding of and passion for individual liberty and classical liberal philosophy.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and high sense of urgency that embraces integrity and humility.
- A firm commitment to advancing a society of equal rights and mutual benefit where people can succeed by creating value for others.
- Individuals with less experience may be considered as a Senior Tax Policy Analyst.
What We Offer
- A meaningful career where your work will improve the lives of millions of Americans – especially the least fortunate
- A vision-driven Community of over 1,000 employees across the country who are dedicated to improving the lives of others
- Competitive salaries and bonuses. Our salary and bonus strategies are aligned to the value you create, not a standardized bell curve
- Generous 401K match - 6% match with immediate vesting
- Competitive health and wellness benefits
- Our flexible time-off policy allows all employees to take leave as needed
- Commuter assistance plans to offset the cost of commuting into our headquarters (on-site parking or metro)
- Opportunities for professional development and mentorship that can strengthen your effectiveness through Principle Based Management and other industry specific programs
Americans for Prosperity is driving long-term solutions to the country's biggest problems through broad-based grassroots outreach. Our activists engage friends and neighbors on key issues and encourage them to take an active role in building a culture of mutual benefit. We have an on-the-ground infrastructure in 36 states that recruits and unites citizens behind a common goal of advancing policies that help people improve their lives.
Americans for Prosperity Foundation is dedicated to educating and training citizens to be courageous advocates for the ideas, principles, and policies in a society of mutual benefit--knowing that leads to the greatest prosperity and well-being for all. Our educational programs break barriers standing in the way of people realizing their potential. By eliminating these obstacles to opportunity, in areas like occupational licensing, free speech, K-12 education, and free trade, we are supporting and working to lift up the lives of individuals and local communities.
We believe that diversity in experiences, perspectives, knowledge and ideas fuels creativity, broadens knowledge, and helps drive success. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strive to treat all employees and applicants with honesty, dignity, respect and sensitivity. We welcome all qualified applicants regardless of color, race, religion, religious creed, sex, gender or gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, ethnicity, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (including medical needs which may arise from pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), military and veteran status, genetic information, marital or familial status, political affiliation, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.